Tuesday, July 28, 2009

My First Teaching Job


When I began grad school I expected it to take two years of schooling before I would be able to apply for licensure. However, it came quicker than that. Grand Canyon University (GCU) told me in December 2006 that I should begin looking for a teaching job that would also count toward my student teaching. I found out that there's a Limited License option in Minnesota that allows teachers in training to be licensed to teach under another licensed individual.
I began looking on EdPost for business ed positions and the only one available was with an online charter school, BlueSky Charter School, based out of West St. Paul. It was a work-from-home position which sounded awesome to me! I called on a Sunday afternoon expecting to get an answering machine on which to leave a message, but the principal answered the phone. I inquired about the business ed position and explained my situation as a grad student. At first he said that I probably wouldn't qualify as new teachers typically aren't interested in online positions. When I told him that I've been behind a computer and phone for over 20 years and was very comfortable with technology, he suddenly became very interested and invited me to interview on Tuesday at 5pm.
The next day, Monday, I called GCU to ask if online teaching would qualify for my student teaching requirement. They said absolutely not, it had to be in a regular classroom. That was a bummer to hear... As I thought about it that evening, I felt it was probably not in my best interests to pursue employment with an online school if it wouldn't qualify for student teaching. I called the principal back and left a message on his voicemail telling him that I had to cancel our interview, due to the student teaching requirement, but hoped to be in touch with him in two years after I graduated.
The principal called me back at 7am on Tuesday morning! I later found out that he had gotten my message but when he called me he acted as if he hadn't and said he was calling to confirm that I was coming in for an interview that evening. I explained that I was sorry but had to cancel and had left him a message. He told me he thought that I could work for BlueSky and student teach elsewhere at the same time and they were open to discussing it and working out a solution! Wow! So I went to the interview that evening which lasted 1.5 hours and I was immediately hired at the end of it. They would sponsor my license and the business ed teacher, who had just been promoted to assistant director, would be my mentor. Suddenly I WAS A TEACHER! My career dream had become a reality!!!
As I drove home that night from the interview, I was dazed at how my life had suddenly turned around and could hardly believe I wasn't dreaming! Six months earlier I had been laid off from a corporate job and 20 plus years of deadend IT work. I had been working part-time for three months and struggling to make ends meet and had no benefits. I had been in grad school only a couple of months and then suddenly, in a little over 48 hours, I had gone from part-time Computer Lab Ed Assistant to full-time Business Ed Teacher!
I believe the Lord knew all along that He would answer my prayer for a new career by moving me in the direction of teaching. He knew this opportunity at BlueSky would come up for me and perhaps He had orchestrated the promotion of the current business ed teacher to bless both her and me. All the steps along the way, even my previous business experience, set the stage for teaching Business Ed. At the appointed time, everything fell into place.
God often works behind the scenes and we cannot see what He is doing on our behalf. Sometimes it feels like He isn't doing anything because He doesn't reveal Himself or His plans to us. But then He does what I call "a suddenly" and you get the breakthrough you've been praying and agonizing for! It's then that you realize that He was there all along, working out the details in order to bring delight to you with what He has done. To Him be all glory and honor!

No comments:

Post a Comment